Sunday, June 08, 2008

Wok this Way!

Anyone that knows me, knows that I like to cook. Not only that, I tend to like to cook things that you just can't walk into a restaurant and get.

If you read my other website, you already know that I have an interest in using the carbon steel wok for outdoor cooking. I was intrigued by the original uses and design of the wok. The traditional hearth stove, needing very little fuel because it was both expensive and scarce in China at the time.

With that, I decided it was time we get a wok for home use too. Consulting with professionals, it quickly became apparent that a carbon steel wok is the ONLY way to go. The others are for just playing around. The only downside of the carbon steel wok is that it requires seasoning, much like a cast iron pan. It is not big deal to me, but to others it might be enough to cause them to look elsewhere. With that, I ordered one wok for outdoor cooking, and one for indoors from The Wok Shop in San Francisco.

I also have quite a few friends who are Chinese. So, I have been picking their brains for some authentic recipes. Not the Betty Crocker, American version of Chinese cooking :D We also have an Asian market close to our house, so finding the good ingredients is no big deal.

I have to say that I am addicted to woking. Jen and the kiddies like it too. Last night, I cooked Pork with Scallions, and of course had rice on the side. In general the results have been unbelievable. This one was especially good. Jen had to take a picture, so here it is:


I actually find the "super cooking stores" quite comical. You can literally spend hundreds of dollars on a single skillet. I have used many, many good ones, and it is all a bunch of crap to part you with your money. If money were not of any consequence at all, I would still choose one $15 cast iron skillet (Lodge brand) , and one $15 carbon steel wok and you can do anything you want, and do it much better than all that expensive cookware out there.

I have also found The Breath of a Wok to be an excellent resource.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That a nice picture and it looks really tasty. I found some Chinese cooking tips at http://www.youtube.com/wokfusion to learn more on cooking. You can also visit these guys at http://www.wokfusion.com. I would like to see more pictures.

Jerry